Oct 7, 2011

Broken Hill - The Punishment

Serving my day in solitude. It really was harder than it looked. Everyone was extremely jealous. And I must admit, I don't see how it could have been anything other than a gift. It felt like I was the cat in Schrödinger's Cat Experiment. Left alone. In a box the size of the Earth.


Just quickly, everyone know's I love Schrödinger's Cat Experiment AND diagrams. Here: The Best of Both Worlds. It's also REALLY funny.

The Punishment

I was going to wake up early for another sun rise, but one of the guys pointed out that if I was going to serve a day of solitude, it's best if I sleep for as long as possible. Which was actually a really good point. I kind of regretted missing the sunrise though, in my life's quest to see the awesome shit the Earth constantly provides, sun rises are my absolute favourite, closely followed by sunsets.

Shit hot, another sun rise
I set myself up for a day of bass slapping and reading. One of my mates had smashed two thick books in about 12 hours over two days. He was putting me to shame, I had a much thinner book that I was only 2/3 into. For shame!

It had come up in conversation that everyone was entering day four without masturbating. Should I feel inclined, with no one around for a solid eight hours, I might rub one out. I didn't though, it felt, wrong.

You know you want me. Oh I do, Kristen, I do.
Everyone left for a day of digging in contaminated dirt and I felt left behind. I wasn't even in the slightest upset about not having to do anything, only that I'd have no one to say stupid shit to. Shitey bullocks!

After three hours I was bored of my guitar. I played all the tunes I knew, and even started playing my own tunes. I made two - I don't even know what to call them? Riffs? Beats? Bass lines? - that aren't in anyway awesome or technical, but cool enough for me! Reading only lasted about an hour. I made some phone calls - nothing amazes my parents anymore, sigh. All this and it was only 1100.

Bass slapping. Get it? (You knew this was coming)
The lady who ran the place showed up and we chatted for about an hour. She took me on a tour of her pre 1900's house, and showed me photos of the place. I think she was lonely.

I mentioned it before, but when we looked out to the horizon, there was a sea of bluish/grey/green shrubs. It looked think like it was just grass. Rest assured it was not grass. These were some 40-60cm high shrubs with spikes and shit that would fuck up the most hardened bear from North America. Bears... Pussies.


I thought about walking to the train line and putting a coin on so I could still have a flattened coin. I didn't because I thought, well, do I deserve it? Probably not.

After lunch I started out walking towards the south. I was really apprehensive at first due to the Brown Snake I saw the day before. That mother fucker was moving about in a way that made me engage Ninja Mode.


Anyway, I just walked for half an hour in one direction. Found some old metallic things, nothing cool. Then I noticed two rocky lumps that were not like the surrounding ground. An investigation revealed them to be animal graves. No idea what they may have been, dogs or horses. Probably dogs, judging from the size of a molar tooth I found. They were put down by a Magnum .357, as I found the bullet casing. Which is a BIG fucking hand gun. I was surprised that 30 minutes of walking didn't get me that far. That, or distances are hard to judge in a flat, open landscape. I should be on CSI.

Some guys returned from digging - all morning - hahahahaha! Then as quickly as they came, they left.

My Generation Y brain was fried. It was only 1400 and I had nothing to do.

This is where shit gets weird. I cleaned our room. I did the dishes then swept the floor and washed some of my clothes. Then I put the TV on. And you know what I watched? QUESTION TIME! Not even kidding.


I dozed off but woke up just in time to watch the 5pm Adelaide news. Nothing going on in Adelaide.

Adelaide
Ate dinner.

Sat out on the patio from 1900 until everyone returned - they had a BBQ with the kids from the high school - at about 2100. I just sat in the chair for a while sending emails on my phone and watching the stars. Them were some shit hot stars. I even managed to witness something burning up in that atmosphere. Life just upped a notch.

I reflected on my day, it was pretty good. A bit lonely, but pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment