Sep 26, 2011

Conception Day!

If you only party once a year, you should party more. But if you do only party once a year and attend Macquarie Uni, you should kill yourself - and remember, it's down the street, not across the road. But seriously, this is your day to Part A.



I bash Macquarie Uni quite a lot. Well, today, I won't. I will in fact say some good things about it. Firstly, Conception Day. Without finding out the word for word meaning of it, I can give you an abridged version.

Lachlan Macquarie was a guy. Our uni is named after him. He was born early in the year outside of our study periods, so we celebrate his CONCEPTION!

Lachlan Macquarie
However, after conducting a little research, this story is not entirely true! You see, Wikipedia informs me that he was born on the 31st of January, and the 16th of September is NOT nine months BEFORE his birthday.

Cool story bro!

This week was all about moving. Worked on Monday, uni on Tuesday, and moved all of my things (many thanks to Toby! check out his travel blog here: http://backtoschool-toby.blogspot.com/) on Wednesday. It's been over a week and I haven't had a chance to sort my any of stuff out. It's a pile of furniture with things stacked on top. My bed has not been built yet either, as I haven't decided whether to re-arrange the room or not. So I'm sleeping on my back on the floor! The 'Not Bed' is back in business.

The 'Not Bed' in Position 2
I had an assignment due on Friday (Conception Day) that I had absolutely no time (for real, not that fake time where it's like, well, I could do it, but I'd rather lurk Facebook some more. Moar!) to complete it. The general rule is, if you want, nee, NEED an extension, you need to speak to the unit co-ordinator at least a week before it's due.

In true Kurt style, I show up on the day before it's due, rock up to my lecturers office at some random time during the day, and knock on his door. Amazingly the doctor IS IN. Hurdle one, overcome.


Next hurdle: can I get an extension? OH YES I CAN! Explain to him how my week was full of moving and work and I had to miss one practical due to a field trip so I wont be able to get the mapping done. When would I be able to hand it in? Well I'm glad you asked! I have another field trip to Broken Hill that will take a week out of my life (that I will never get back) so I won't even be able to look at it until after the 25th! His response was: Yes, no problem. Tuesday 26th is fine. BOOM!

Broken Hill sunset - totally worth the trip
My Conception Day enjoyment just sky rocketed all the way up from FUCK YEAH to something above that, like, a lot further above that.

Side note? Side note. Later on at work, a gentleman I have had never met before recognised me from this blog. It is a little unnerving, and I now know how celebrities feel when people come up to them out of the blue and punch them in the vagina.

Fatbuster Friday was another 1:50hr ride followed by 2hrs of coffee. Nothing better than a ride that takes less time than the coffee stop.

So there will be no more riding for me until after the 26th sometime. Get ready for some creeping!


I totally stole this image and I'm not going to reference it

Conception Day!!!!!!!!

With no real plan or even any organisation to meet anyone, I headed to Mac Centre to procure some alcohol. I thought maybe I could meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while (who is also about to do the London thing for six months) and have lunch. I was sure that I would be doing nothing but drinking and dancing for the next six odd hours, so I should really have some food.

As I entered Woolies liquor, I heard my name screamed out across the store. Turned and saw some of the guys I hung out with at last years Conception Day - which isn't described anywhere in stone, but let's say it was a top five day of my life. I grabbed a litre of vodka, a bottle of sprite and 750ml water bottle for mixing.
Potato juice and vodka are different
I organised to meet up with those guys later on as I met my London-bound friend for a kebab - which was amazingly delicious. I began mixing my drinks below the table in the Mac Centre food court and managed to catch an express train from sober to pissed, expressing straight past tipsy as if even looking at it would make me more sober, in about 20 minutes.

My friend was the only audience member to witness the Decomposition of Kurt. A play involving me getting drunk and exploring the deep and philosophical inner thoughts of Kurt at that given moment. My critic said, "funny and entertaining, but not Tony worthy."

Didn't want one anyway
Very quickly I realised that getting into Conception Day was going to pose a problem. I was heavily intoxicated and although I can stand there and swear blind that I haven't had a drop to drink, that would be a lie my body couldn't keep.

I began the walk to Uni after Amy wrestled the vodka and sprite from me. I had a roadie that I didn't even touch and threw into a bush near Wally's Walk. I headed for the E7B toilets to break my seal.


I managed to bump into someone I knew from a class that I only ever spoke to once - but that's the beauty of alcohol, bringing people together, right? - and preceded to chew his ear off about anything I found interesting. Being the good sport that he is, he took me under his wing when I expressed doubt on my ability to get into Conception Day.

I don't remember how - I'm sure he could comment on how, if I ever see him again - but we managed to get into a kitchen in the Lincoln building. After feeding me some biscuits, I did some star jumps, stumbled into a few rooms interrupting a class or two and some older, angrier folk. One lecture theatre I ripped open the door to, revealed about thirty students; all of them staring at me. I gave them the only response I thought applicable:

We walked clear around the Conception Day fence to try and burn some of my alcohol fuel. Also perhaps because I was sure I could get in over or under the fence like last year. This time however they had taken the double fence approach that would nullify that option.

The fence budget was increased this year

From somewhere on campus I had stolen the MENS sign from a bathroom door. And throughout the day I kept surprise finding it in my pocket.

Again, I'm not sure how, but we were in the U@MQ building and ended up in a fire escape. We spiralled our way up to the top floor of the building and MOTHER FUCKING BOOM - kicked that door open and landed upright inside Conception Day.

From here on out it was mostly drunken dancing, moshing, bumping into random people I had a class with once and maybe spoke to more than a couple of times, always awkward.

The only other thing of note was rolling my ankle, which if you saw me on Saturday, wasn't pretty.

I ended up eating a shit load of sushi for dinner and riding my bike home, bumping into another travelling friend. I forced her to swap bikes with me for some reason - luckily we swapped back as my Commuter has a power only I can control - like that guy in Avatar who flies that extra dangerous dragon thing in the sky, and you know, all that.

Not a whisker on Conception Day last year, but a pretty good day out.

Until next year kids, always rock with your cock out.

I'm ready, are you?

1 comment: