Sep 10, 2011

The Calga Classic is a classic

Fuck you assignments!
Sorry it took so long to pump this out. I actually wrote it last Sunday but since then I've been staying up late at night to work through my assignments. Third year assignments aren't any harder than first or second year ones; it's just that they take longer to do.



Riding:

I rode every day this week, cause you know, I didn't have an assignment (or two) to do or anything...

Monday: Bobbo reps.

There's this website called Strava. I've linked to it before, but basically, it just lets the world know how awesome you are at riding a bike.

I've set myself a goal of climbing 15,000 metres per month; and so far I've hit it every single time. In January I motored to over 33,000m - thanks to the Month of Madness. In however April I only just scraped it in with 15,100m.

So in August I had that mullet week from hell when riding my bike was the furthest thing in my mind. Not only did I stress out like an exploding clock, I didn't get much vertical gain in. With three days to go I was about 2,000m short. While northern Sydney is lucky to have so many climbs in the area, they aren't very high or long - compared to the Gold Coast - not even in the same league - I'm jelly.

So Bobbin Head repetitions it is. I rode up there and set in going up and down only three times before work, it wasn't exciting at all. In fact, the only positive other than the elevation gain, was that it finished.

Tuesday: Bobbo reps.

This time with the bunch. I met up with the homos and we hit this thing like a boxer hits his wife. I don't understand why, but these guys only like going to the top of the climb, not to the toll booth for extra roulerness.

Four reps and the Turra side before hitting the cafe for Chai latte's. No homo.

Wednesday: Somersby Loop

Met up with Toby for 150km of tempo riding. Super sweet day for getting out. Worked on my tan lines and epic base. Coffee at Pablo and Rusty's afterwards.

Thursday: Gorges HAMMERFEST

Again with the homos for the hammerfest that is hammering and festing. Some serious hammering.

Friday: Fatbuster!

My favourite ride of the week! Mmm, Fatbuster.

Saturday: McCarrs and Akuna

Met up with Tom for a pre work social ride. We do more fat chewing than two fat ladies playing bridge.

Sunday: The Claga Classic. And nothing BUT Classic.

Most Aggressive? Most aggressive!

I earned my dinner. Attacked between Berowra and Cowan and got a pretty good gap. Wasn't sure how long I'd have to hold this shit for so went hard and tried to hold them off until Mt White. They blew themselves apart bringing me back. A small selection picked me up at the top of the descent. Drove it hard across the bridge and into the climb.

We waited at the top because JDS had decided to changed gloves when the move went and missed everything. I'm pretty sure this guy will miss his own funeral.

So aero I don't even exist
As the word to roll out was heard. I led it out with Luke beside me. Something came over me and I asked if I should attack now? No one was behind us yet. Nobody ever wants to go on the front so they all play "Who will roll out first?" Luke didn't even respond to me. Verbally. All I heard was CCCLLLIIIICCCCKKKKK and he went aero.

We sat up and waited for a group of three to catch us and then most of the A bunch was there. Five of us rolled smooth turns the WHOLE way out and back. That must be a first!

We picked up Mark on Brooklyn and held back to let him stay in the bunch. Soft, I think. We kept rolling through until Mt. Colah where Leighton attacked and I took his wheel and opened my sprint bringing Peter and JDS - in ninja mode - with me.

Ended up being about 60 seconds slower than the fastest time! Best Calga EVER!

Not riding:

My quest for new cycling shoes continues. Thought I was onto a good thing with the Luis Garnou's but, it wasn't to be. The soles were very flexy and the 44's were too big anyway. Otherwise it was a good fit. So far I've ruled out Sidi, Giro, Mavic, Diadora, Bont, and Lake. Maybe I should just wait and upgrade to the 2012 Shimano's. It's been a perfect shoe so far. It just doesn't have that 'Cool' factor I need with everything. Also because they have achieved that Limited Edition Piss Yellow Colour.

I got blue hoods on Saturday too. So now I've got extra bling on my bike. Everyone form a line and pick a colour. You know you want to...

No comments:

Post a Comment