Aug 17, 2011

Uni Games? Uni Games! Mullet? Mullet!

Another week. A bit colder than the last, but you know, it is winter and all that. It's time. Time to shine and stuff, yo. Here's my drawing of Mario and Luigi. Pretty neat huh?



Riding:
Monday was a quick jaunt around the top end of the beaches, two laps of Powderworks - what an awesome climb by the way. It has everything your mother ever wanted in a bike riding son - steep parts, undulating parts, bendy bits, and it's over 4km long - just like a bike riding son. A quick search of Strava tells me that this hill is so versitile that it even has THREE different approaches! The original gangster approach from Garden st, a softer approach from Rickard rd, and a Gilbert approach from Elanora rd. The Gilbert climb is 4.5km at 4.2%, with sections above 20%. No seriously, the Gilbert approach.

Anyway, Tuesday was another day off, to which I attribute a saddle sore.

Wednesday I woke up at about 8am, played with myself a little, ate a little, got dressed a little, jumped on the bike a little, and then rode to Wisemans Ferry. It was a really great ride, undulating, three climbs, a bit hot to start, a bit cold to finish, 135km at 31.1km/hr. I think I did pretty well. Firstly, I began the ride with blisters on the tips of my index and middle fingers from playing my bass - ouch, then I DROPPED my mp3 player (don't get me started on how hard it was to get, or how expensive it was) on Old Northern rd, and then broke my saddle (warranty!). What a shit day! Despite all this, the ride was hell awesome, not just awesome, hell awesome.

I think this should become a standard Sunday club ride. If nobody cares, then we can continue to do the same five rides until the end of time. Your call. Will you answer it?

Idiots!
I rode out sitting on about 30km/hr, then came home all guns blazing - like a battleship firing all it's guns towards the rear to make it go faster, or something - cause if it fired them all to one side, it would tip over, or if it had enough momentum it would move in a diagonal direction, and if it fired them straight ahead, it would slow down or go backwards if it was going slow enough, which is not like what happened or like what I'm describing.

I suffered a little going up Galston, but I was able to keep my tempo all the way to the shop where I made some repairs to my creaky bike. Too much POWHA equals CREAKS (what too much POWHA doesn't equal is CREEKS, because that would be weird, and not physically possible. Carbon does not equal water. Just so you know.). The highway hitout was epic like always, drafting cars, overtaking them on the INSIDE and OUTSIDE, you know, just being a NASCAR racer generally.

I'm happy with my effort. Who needs power meters? I have a Kurt meter.

Thursday was 3 gorges day with the homos, I mean homies, nah kidding, I do mean homos. It was fast, it was furious, but there was no Vin Diesel or Michelle Rodriguez. Which is a relief really, because they don't ride bikes, so we would have been waiting for them at the top of the all climbs for quite some time.

I was left behind at the top of Galston because unlike Green P, I waited for the cars to go passed before I turned around, leaving a gap of about 200m to the bunch. They took this as a sign to attack. Attack? THIS IS SPARTA!

I crashed, twice, but that's ok! Time for work. Check out
Voeckler in back... Hai guiz!
I dragged back/they sat up for about five seconds, letting me close exactly half the gap. Then they decided that that was enough and were going to attack for real this time. The gap grew just a little. I was hanging out the back like the unwanted fat, nerdy kid when picking football teams during PE. But I'm not an unwanted fat, nerdy kid! I ground my way back like Jens Voigt did during the Tour when he crashed twice but still made it back into the bunch AND got on the front. And that's exactly what happened to me less the crashing. And getting paid to ride. And being in France. And being German. And having six kids.

Friday's Fatbuster was off due to rain, which really sucks because I can't do it next week due to a field trip to Manly Dam. I need to have a sit down with the uni and explain that they are getting in the way of me getting everything I want. Seriously uni, stop it.


Not Riding:

I gave myself a mullet because, if a pro cyclist has something, I want it too. Problem? Didn't think so. The mullet didn't turn out to well though, probably because I did it myself, but also because I'm not an aggressive, anti social wanker.

Courage Wolf
The worst part is, since I've had the mullet, I've not ridden for a couple of days AND our landlord kicked down our doors and demanded that we vacate our house THAT NIGHT! What? We bartered a week, which then became three months. Phew! What deal?

I signed myself up for the Australian University Games 2012. After having featured in the last two editions, I was SUPER pumped for another jaunt onto the Gold Coast. The organisers had moved the road race to near Murwillumbah which is a blessing because the last one up here was somewhere in the sticks and it was HARD AS FUCK. Just to give you an indication of how hard, there were 40 starters, it paid points down to 10th place, and only six people finished the race. Heavy.

Also, the time trial is going to be at Main Beach! Right in the middle of the Games epicentre! EPIC! I was totally aiming to CRUSH that shit.

BUT? BUT! You know, the mullet wasn't finished yet.

The two week break in September is home to Uni Games AND a field trip to Broken Hill. Someone had smiled on me though, as I had ONE day to finish in Broken Hill, then drive to the Gold Coast. A bit epic, but no big deal. BUT! BUT? Oh, you have a mullet now Kurt, well, in that case, we'll just move the field trip TWO DAYS back. So, you can't do the road race. Suck on that, bitch - direct quote from Macquarie. Twice in a week. How dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment