Jun 29, 2011

The Dirt Road

Hells yeah!
Some days, some days are just boring. Other days, well, they just plain look like this:


Day four:

Profile

I did some research on Strava and found a shorter route to Mt Mee as the first route I found was more than 60km till the climb. The shorter route would be about 30km. All I had to do was take some back streets through the wilderness and I'd fall out onto Dayboro road, which leads to Mt Mee. Unexpectedly I came upon a dirt road! Not wanting to navigate that, I rode back to an intersection and took that over a rise which, incredibly also turned into a dirt road! With not much in the way of a third option, as turning back would be about a 20km back track, I rode the dirt road dreaming of the Strada Bianca.
But it just looks like this

It only lasted about 600m, but had a number of small bergs and bends that I couldn't see past to know how long this surprise would last. I popped out onto another road, expecting that I was a couple hundred metres from the main road. Turns out I had taken the WRONG dirt road and had to make a 10km detour through Queensland farmlands.

I thought my adventure was finally over after hitting Dayboro road. It kind of was, really, but mentally I took a bashing from the undulating, bumpy, shoulder-less road. It was rough to say the least. I stopped in Dayboro for a drink before hitting the 6km of 5.4% Mt Mee.

You can be my valentine, Mt Mee
I really like this climb, there's never really any steep parts and it just goes and goes. The only shit part is the two temporary traffic lights set up due to barriers because the road has fallen away in parts. These single lane sections are only about 100-200 metres long, so I don't think it's a problem to ride through them, but only if there's no traffic behind. I did two reps and both times there was a car behind me. The first climb was going good, but had to stop at the second traffic light and it certainly cost me the KOM.

The thing I love the most this trip, is that it's not so fucking hot. Last time was at the tail end of summer and temps were hovering above 30 every day. This time it's more like 22-24. Perfect for long rides like this one anyway.

It's good to be self sufficient, but stopping every so often does good for your mental state. I think if I'm going to be riding by myself for the next five weeks, keeping my head in the game is important if I want to keep it up.

Now, please be my friend?
Stopped at the Wolves Den Cyclery in Caboolture for ANOTHER front derailleur tune. Old mate was helpful and actually did some work tightening the breaks - they were widened for Bathurst to fit the Zipp 303's, but never re-tightened. Threw $10 his way and hopefully, I've got a friendly shop owner to help me out if need be.



Day five:

Turns out old mate that worked on my bike yesterday only moved the derailleur over and I wasn't able to cruise in my 53x18 or 17. My search continues...

Just a ride for the sake of going for a ride. Stopped at Redcliffe for a coffee that was shit. My first coffee in about two weeks. Disappointed!

Dropped into Goldcross Cycles just north of Straithpine. Good big store with friendly staff. Worked on my front derailleur and FINALLY! It's working well. Time will tell though. Biggest difference with this mechanic was that he adjusted my cable tension. I'm a mechanical hubbard so I'm not really sure what that means, but hopefully, it makes all the difference.

I asked about bunch rides, but they're mainly hubbard bunches. The Sunday Zupp's ride is the only one worth showing up for. Just riding a bike isn't enough for these people, triathlon is massive up here. I'd rather eat my own shit than swim and run in a single sitting.

Also of note, I was watching some riveting foxtel, and came across a guy named Axel Rod. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment