Jul 1, 2011

Going Norther

I had an enforced rest day yesterday. My saddle areas are taking a beating like never before. As I'm a rouleur, I consider myself that because you know, I'm all pro and shit, I use a hard, pro time saddle. But up here the roads are rough - "rough as guts" if my English to Bogan dictionary is correct. May as well have brought my mountain bike! Or a softer saddle, what ever. 



Day six:


Profile


Today I was excited, I was finally heading north. So far I had never travelled north and probably, probably as I'm not really sure why, I'm sure I could think of some good reasons if I wanted, and where exposition fails, interpretive dance takes over, normally, but not here, did you see how many comas I used then, epic.


There are only three roads headed north, the Bruce Motorway, Beerburum Road which turns into Steve Irwin Way, and Old Gympie Road. I decided to take Old Gympie road north, then return on Beerburum road just to keep it interesting. Turns out however, that not only do Queenslanders like dirt roads, they like to pocket them all over the place and not tell anyone. I didn't have to back track too far, but I wasn't sure I could take Steve Irwin way. And when I got onto it, my fears were confirmed. Here's a chart to help you better understand the problem with Steve Irwin way. 



I had to abandon Steve Irwin way and find my way back to Old Gympie road, which was an effort. These back roads are awesome however, undulating but a little rough. The best part is it's definitely middle of nowhere stuff, almost no traffic and nice people who wave and say hello to you. These people are nice and refreshing, a bit like a cold soft drink at the end of a long hot ride. 

Even more awesome was the massive rocky mountain peaks - The Glass House Mountains. They jut out of the ground as if earth itself was waking up with morning glory. We know that can't be true though because the earth is a chic. 

Although Queensland is billed as perfect one day, super awesome epic amazing the next, today was not that day. It was a little windy, another southerly which was going to ruin my hair on the return leg, and there were rain patches skirting around the place. Luckily I didn't hit any rain until the climb, where it started to fall fairly heavily until I reached Peachester. 


It's not recognised as a climb on strava, and I guess for good measure - it's just a longish false flat. It winds and twists up, but never really enough to force you into climbing mode.




My modes

No comments:

Post a Comment