Jul 6, 2011

If bottom bracket sounds like maraca, go straight to bike shop


You know when something horrible happens to you and then it isn't just fixed, it gets turned into an absolutely awesome thing? Well, that's exactly what happened.


Day ten:

Profile

So today was interesting. Decided to do ole Mt Mee again and left at about 9am because you know, I can. Hit Dayboro road like a boss, may have even done a PB, except the wind was atrocious. I should really make a segment for this bitch.

Like a Boss, lol what?
I did the climb at about 70% because I was planning on doing it twice then going across to D'Aguilar for a TT hit out (with the wind at my back LIKE A BOSS). One of the arsehole traffic lights stopped me on the climb again. Sigh.

There was a head wind the whole way up, too. It was like trying to force something, and the harder you push, the more it hurts, and the longer it takes to get in, the less you want to keep trying - without mentioning anal. Again.

Anyway, the bike started creaking somewhere towards the top of the climb, sigh. So annoying. Seriously, what's more annoying than a creak? NOTHING! I got 99 problems, and a creaky bike ain't one (until now). I descended and when stopping for the traffic light, sigh, I noticed that my bottle cage was loose and about to chuck my bottle off the side of the mountain and into a paddock. Fuck! Really?

Sounds broken, bro.
Called the bros in the bike shop to diagnose my creak over the phone, because you know, what else am I gonna do? Just back pedalling was enough to cause an earthquake like tremor through my bike. Dammit! Got a tip to go to Dutton's Cycles in North Lakes.

Now, this noise in my bike was similar in feeling to being alone in the bush at night and you hear some kind of growling noise. So naturally I rode back over Dayboro's undulating hell road, and for some unknown reason (honestly, I don't know what the fuck was I thinking), turned left into the back road that takes me home. I can only assume that I thought the shop was going to be near where I came out to the main road. Turns out that I had to back track about 10-15km. Sigh.

Hi, I'm an S2 and I'm awesome!
When I got there, old mate was working on a bike in a really clean and neat store. It looked like he'd only just moved in - apparently he'd been there for two years. He looked at the bike and said he couldn't work on it now, but would be able to have a look in a couple of hours and let me know. He asked how I would get home, I said I would call my sister. Here is the most amazing part, after I had been in the store for about five minutes, told him I was from interstate, was here on a holiday, and worked in bike shop back in Sydney, he offered me a bike to get home. Not just any bike either, his own S2 with Sram Red.

At about 1630 he called and said the bottom bracket was shot and he could have a replacement (BB50? BBRight? BBKing? BBGun? BBSmurf?), hopefully tomorrow morning, and have it done by the afternoon. I was gob smacked. I've never had such awesome service in all my life. Or at least I can't remember receiving better service. I think the only time anything similar has happened was... nope, nothing.
Hi, I'm Sram Red and I suck!

Next day, got a call about 1145 telling me it was done. Rode the S2 back there and not only had he replaced the offending BB, he had tuned my bike to PERFECTION. You might cast your mind back to last week when I was having so much trouble with my front derailleur, and two different shops couldn't fix it. Well, FIXED, like a boss!

Old mate, his name is also Kurt, we're name bro's, told me about some racing and he would help me out getting there. What a legend!

Courage Wolf


No comments:

Post a Comment