Jul 16, 2011

Mountains mountains everywhere so let all have a drink



Day whatever + 1:

So you know. Did the Hors Category climb of Springbrook - at the top I went to the wrong look out, rode back, went up to highest look out but Strava says I didn't complete the HC segment - what ever... followed the next day by Mount Tamborine. In two days I had done more than 3,500m of elevation, spent more than 9hrs in the saddle over 260+ kilometres. The next day I planned on chasing the KOM on the Tomewin, but as soon as I got to the bottom of my street and put all my weight on the saddle, it wasn't going to happen. For whatever reason I was a little tender so I decided to do an hour of beach lurking. Got a REALLY good picture at Kirra beach, then rode up to Point Danger before returning home. My aunt gave me some internets hence two blogs in one day. Days are really long and boring when you don't go riding for very long. Who would have thunk it?

If you're an ant, this is massive
News is that the rain is coming on Friday and hanging around for a couple of days. What ride to do on Friday...

Thursday night was the first Tour stage in the mountains...

I like mountains...

I'm surrounded by mountains...

EPIC THREE CLIMB RIDE!!!

Day whatever + 2:

Profile

Oh, when I thought up this ride I couldn't even sleep! I was so excited! This was going to test my worth. Both sides of the Tomewin - both KOM attempts, then head north to Springbrook to have a shot at the middle KOM - hopping to at least get close. This ride was going to be epic.

In the back of my mind I wanted to get the HC segment too, so pending how I felt after the 2nd KOM, I would mosey up there. Turns out however that the weather turned and I called it off.

When I left home it was pretty windy and over cast. It was a little colder then previous days for sure. I left with my arm warmers on and didn't pull them off until I approached the first climb.

I hit the bottom a little excited, maybe a bit to hard, made a concentrated effort to settle down or I'd blow half way up this 9km climb. Got into my groove and smashed over the climb like a boss. The descent was a lot easier this time, dunno why, maybe the blowing southerly was holding me up - definitely more confident descending strange mountains now.

One dot for each KOM. Right?
Back up the southern ascent, I went a little easier, at times I wasn't even watching my cadence and speed, just enjoyed riding it. There's a massive difference between doing it in the 23 and 25. 25 gives you just enough power to keep a higher cadence and it makes ALL the difference. If I lived here, I'd run a 12-25 permanently.

Descended the northern side no dramas and passed a few riders going the other way. The bergy McBerg road that leads to the Springbrook was harder than last time. Minor issue really, tried to keep a high steady pace on the flatter sections to compensate.

Passed a bunch of three at an intersection - who didn't see me - one in Northern Sydney kit, another in Bike Bug kit, the other in unidentifiable blue kit. How dare they steal my idea for a winter holiday to Queensland. They're clearly weaker though, having to holiday in packs. Is the weakness a club specific characteristic, or is it an individual one? I say individual. There are plenty of people in Peloton Sports that can't ride by them selves either. HTFU. But there are a few of us that are Heros.

You asked for, so I busted it out.

Up Springbrook I wasn't sure if I should have a crack at the KOM, I wasn't that tired, but I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stick it out. So I rode at a pace that I thought would get the KOM, but I wasn't sure I could keep it up for 30 minutes, if I popped, I popped. It's a really steady climb where the gradient doesn't change that much. There are three wooden, single lane bridges which could use some updating that force a momentary change in position, but aren't a problem.

At one point I saw further up the mountain and there was rain. So I decided not to ride all the way to the look out - damn you Strava - so I'll have to do it another time.

I almost gave up on the KOM though. Near the top there is about 1-2km of re-sealed road that is bumpy and covered in loose gravel. The road undulates and I knew I would be able to slam it in the dog and punch it to the top from there. Turns out though that as I left the repaired section, I came really close to popping. I knew it wasn't much further to the KOM so I dug a little deeper. A couple hundred metres later I had a second wind and was able to keep my speed and cadence up till I rolled across the line, relieved it was over. Conquered, like a boss.

Turns out that I missed out on the "Bus Stop" KOM - finishes before the undulating section - by a measly 10 seconds. I did however smash old mate's previous time by over a minute at the "Fudge Shop" so he can suck a big one.

I stopped at the fudge shop for a creaming soda as it started to drizzle, so I quickly put my arm warmers on and made tracks.

Passed a couple struggling up the climb and amazingly, an older guy on a Giant dually! What?
I don't ride a bike so I can steal
lollies from kids.

I had planned on taking an easier route back home via flat roads but because I didn't get over the 1000m line today, I decided to keep it real and take on the bergy McBerg road. It was a fairly soft effort really, but happy that I took the harder route. Refer: HTFU flow chart.

It started raining about 15km from home, but the ride was almost over and I had climbed over 2,000m and secured over 9000 KOMs. Boom.


I am now a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment