Jul 14, 2011

Mount Tamborine

Tamed
Another mythical beast tamed. Tamed? Or just endured?

Day whatever:

Profile

Not only is it 55km from where I'm staying, it undulates like a fat chic's stomach (I'm not getting a picture of a fat chic, I know you guys want one) before hitting 12% for 2km. The road is just straight up and bumpy with your back to the picturesque Surfers Paradise for maximum hurt box time. What the deal? At the time I hated it and wished death upon every one. It just kept going and was a steep mofo. God damn steep. Now that I'm sitting in a cushioned chair eating biscuits though, I liked it. I don't know that it's worth travelling all the way out there though. The route I took was the most back road to avoid the million plus traffic light friendly Gold Coast Super Traffic Light Way. Still, it was flat and boring. If I were staying further north, I would definitely hit this bitch more often (and hit it hard like a father with a misbehaving child). Also, definitely a 25 granny gear MINIMUM, maybe even go one higher if seriously considering a KOM attempt.

Stop being naughty Kurt, stop it.
I guess I thought it was shit because I could never tell where the top was. I knew it was in the town, but the road just kept going, and going. Similarly, the start was a bit weird, as I knew from my notes - damn you no internets -  that the climb started after glenview st, which it did, but then I was treated to a couple hundred metres of down hill and then 5km of flat road. What? I'm a naughty boy, but do I deserve to be sucker punched by the earth like this? I demand not.

The town is a bit like Katoomba. Arty and crafty and cafe's everywhere. Needless to say I rode through and never looked back.

The descent was a special one. The demon descenders of the world would probably die on this mystical beast. I was packing darkies that my rims were going to explode and I was going to become gore thread fodder on 4chan.
Mount Tamborine

There was this one section, straight down, sitting on about a 20% gradient doing 70km/hr. Fly around this bend and 200m below me is a lollipop lady with a stop sign. Uh oh. I was squeezing my breaks, hopping not to die, yet hopping to stop before knocking this lady over. As I got closer she started yelling at me to stop and thrust her hands forward just in case I couldn't hear her or something, not really sure what it was about. I finally pull it up 5m past where she is standing, thanking Allah for my survival when she starts going off at me for not stopping on a dime and going faster than the 40km/hr her signs were instructing me (forgive me for not seeing the little signs). I started laughing at her because she clearly had no sense of humour. So I gave her my best TBG impersonation: Why is there a 40km/hr zone going down such a steep hill? Have you ever ridden a bike you fucking cow? Touch my rims, tell me if they're hot. Lady with a lollipop sign, why don't you stand in a flooding river and tell the water to slow down? Get a real job.

Nah I wouldn't do that... But I will continue to shit on Sydney. Take this:

How good's my drawing?

So I continued along for another 50 odd kilometres thinking about my lack of high intensity riding. There is some racing around, it just feels like a massive, deep chasm between me and racing because I'm not from here. Weird. A trainer session would be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment