Jul 4, 2011

So I heard you like climbing. Some steep?

Mio Italiano e perfecto.
There's a back door way up to Mt Mee. If this back door is like other rear entrances, I'll enjoy checking it out... Enough with the butt hole innuendo - which is Italian for suppository...



Day nine:

Profile

Old mate at Caboolture bike shop assured me that Campbell's Pocket was steep and twisty. Turns out he was right. The whole thing averages 7% and is a Category 2 climb. It's definitely a 25 climb. I struggled up it with the puny 23. So much so it felt like

Courage Wolf
Yesterday, I forgot to mention, I swapped out the 23 for the 25 with great success. Definitely an easier gear, but not quite easy enough for some of the stuff around here. My course guide was telling me it wouldn't be more than 10% in places, but Strava assures me that I was hitting sections above 20% for a couple hundred metres.

Likewise today, the course guide said no more than 7%, so I put the 23 back on and wouldn't you know it, the Jackson rd climb averages 11.1%. Not only was the average higher than what I expected to even encounter, but it hit over 20% in a couple of places. Let me tell you the view at the top was not worth the price of admission. Nah that's a lie, it just sounded heaps cool to say, it actually was worth the pain. There's a photo on my phone, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. Mainly because the only way to get photos off my phone is to upload them straight to facebook.

I don't need to tell you
*where* this party ended.
After not being able to make it up to Campbell's Pocket rd from Jackson rd - another dirt road stopped my progress. By the way, this one was hilly as shit, so I wasn't so keen on just sucking it and seeing. I made an about face and found my way to Campbell's Pocket road and immediately found the climb, which is about 9km long and if I remember correctly, averaged above 7%. I can't make a Strava segment because I took a detour off the main road for a photo which interferes with the true climb. And because there is no way for me to edit it out, everyone has to wait until I complete the climb in one go before the segment is made. I didn't enjoy this climb much at all. It was steep and shit. I got rained on at the top for quite a while which made the going easier, as I was working up quite a sweat, it was some hard work (Honestly, if you keep thinking of the anal jokes I made earlier, this is heaps more entertaining).

I may have finally come around the bend because today was the first day I've completed a ride and felt good at the end. When I got home I felt fine, normally I've felt ruined and needed to relax for a while. Today I got home and played the drums for several hours.

After descending Mt Mee I promptly stuck it in the dog and delt out some pain. I made a segment for the slightly downhill trek home, and averaged 41.1kph for a 15km section. All the way to Caboolture is 19 odd kilometres, for which I averaged 39 odd kph. I finished the segment at the overpass because I usually start to wind down after that.

Did someone say DRUM SOLO?
Because I'm a huge retard, while putting the 23 cassette back on, I was trying to hurry so I could eat dinner, I threaded the DA lock ring. Yep. Totally hubbard. It's alright though, I forgive myself. Because I'm all generous and stuff.

Crazy Bullshit Climb

While searching for some climbs, I can upon this beast. It has a section that goes over 43%. Holy shit balls, batman. This is only a 1km section of the 2.9km segment, and it took the 2 guys who did it, 13 minutes to travel 1km. That's just over 4kph. EPIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment